Wednesday, April 16, 2008

What's it Made of? Transmaterial Library?  

My trip has been so magical and amazing that I hesitate to mention any one place because every single library I’ve visited is unique and very special. That said, I keep reflecting upon what I saw in Christchurch, no doubt because it’s so similar in size to Omaha. Population is just about our only similarity since their budget, translated from New Zealand dollars, is about twice as much as ours, so the differences I saw in hours, staffing, collections and programs are astounding. There is a vibrancy that only having enough funding can help produce. Their buildings are beautiful, the newer ones include green features such as a moat that handles rain runoff that is used for the toilets, windows that open automatically to bring in fresh air, louvered shades that provide cooling and open and close to enhance the light. After hearing Blaine Brownell, author of Transmaterial speak at Pop!Tech last year, I’ve been on a quest to build a library that IS the library, where materials featured in the book are presented and explained in a way that they become in essence a living reference book that isn’t so much read as explored and experienced. Christchurch is almost there, and indeed, I visited the Greytown Library today and it features recycled glass from Israel. Obviously, New Zealand libraries can become a Transmaterial library for the rest of us!

It's clear that New Zealand libraries, with a history similar to our, including gifts from Andrew Carnegie, have built on that foundation and planning for a vibrant future. I'm jealous.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories