Friday, April 18, 2008

On the Home Stretch  

I'm at the Wellington Airport waiting for the first of my 4 flights back to Omaha. My heart and eyes and mind are still reeling from everything I've seen. I won't even know where to begin. I have so many ideas, and I'm now convinced that everyone should travel by library! It's a great way to see a country.

Wellington was as beautiful as I knew it would be and the libraries exude typical New Zealand health. Central is stunning and even though yesterday was an unusually quiet Friday, it was bustling at 5 p.m., with people of every age doing all kinds of work. I was checking out the children's area when I heard a woman ask the librarian for "naughty" books. I was really curious about what she might really want and did my nosy American thing, thinking she might be wanting The Joy of Sex. Turns out she wanted Noddie/Noddy books (I didn't check the spelling) for her toddler! Obviously I need to spend more time here before I'm fluent in New Zealand English!

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



4 comments: to “ On the Home Stretch

  • Maggie
    April 18, 2008 at 9:15 PM  

    I'm so glad they read Noddy books (by Enid Blyton) in New Zealand too. We grow up with them in England! Maggie

  • Deirdre
    April 21, 2008 at 6:02 AM  

    We had Noddy book in Oz too. And I even had a Big Ears knitted doll (which, strangely, my grandparents who lived in D.C. gave me).

    Deirdre

  • eLGAR Programme Office
    April 21, 2008 at 9:42 PM  

    Hi Rivkah,

    As one of the fortunate folk hosting your trip around li'l old NZ I just wanted to say a big thank you for the energy you exudes everywhere you went. I know it must have been exhausting but you impressed me with a phenomenal memory for the names and places you visited.

    Some of the feedback from the Auckland folk who came to hear you speak was that your enthusiasm was very inspirational. The general library staffers are not exposed to many motivational library speakers so it was a real treat to have one come all the way from Omaha especially for our benefit.

    I've had comments of "fabulous - could have listened to her all day!" "encouraging - anybody in the same industry as engaging as Rivkah is worthwhile hearing".

    Well done for wowing NZ and thank you from Auckland to Invercargill and back again.

    Fond wishes,
    Louise

  • Ben
    April 22, 2008 at 12:19 PM  

    Your sharing of the naughty/noddy story was quite amusing. Sounds like you had an awesome trip.