Saturday, April 12, 2008

Internet Access--the Last New Zealand Mile  

I'm writing this from a public machine at the Queenstown airport. It's been very interesting for me to be in a country where people definitely do NOT take Internet access for granted. Most of the libraries I've visited offer it, some charge, some restrict access and don't allow email, some provide it for free. It's definitely a case of the playing field not being as level as I think everyone would like.

New Zealand is a small country, under 5 million people, and high speed internet is not ubiquitous here yet. The libraries I've seen are doing an amazing job, but I think there are governmental restrictions that prevent them from making their vision real.

Given that lately I've been questioning wide open access (well, we do filter at OPL but it's still wide open) and the behavior problems associated with it, I wonder if there's a lesson for U.S. libraries to be learned from our Kiwi cousins? I'd love to talk about this. What I've seen so far are fewer behavior problems (the kind we have that are associated with internet access) and generally libraries that are very pleasant places.

It's making me think.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



2 comments: to “ Internet Access--the Last New Zealand Mile