Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Sesquipedalian  

In the Sunday New York Times a couple of weeks ago, who knows why, Abe read an obituary to me. It was for Richard Pratt Prunty and was such a loving tribute from his children that I saved it. Obviously Mr. Prunty was a remarkable ("erudite, sesquipedalian, ebullient, chaetophorous, neo-luddite bibliophile...") man who loved books and words. Of course I never had the opportunity to meet him, but thanks to Tim Berners-Lee, creativity and daily delivery of the New York Times, I too had the opportunity to celebrate Mr. Prunty's life.

It's a convergence like this that gives me hope for libraries, dictionaries, children and the world.

In Mr. Prunty's honor I think all of us should look up a word we don't quite understand, and celebrate curiosity and the public library.

Thank you Prunty children, for sharing your father with all of us.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



0 comments: to “ Sesquipedalian